You can make a difference just by instagramming your bare feet with the hashtag #withoutshoes. TOMS will give a pair of shoes to a child in need.
“ONE DAY WITHOUT SHOES” is an annual global event that aims to spread awareness for children’s health & education. Through this, we are able to communicate the urgent need of many children who are living in such extreme conditions that they have to endure each day without protection on their feet – depriving them of good health and opportunities. In response to this, TOMS provides a simple solution to a complex problem — with every pair of shoes you purchase, TOMS gives a new pair of shoes to a child in need, One for One.
But why give shoes? Here are 6 reasons why.
- Shoes can increase access to education. By providing children with school uniforms, which often include shoes, can increase school attendance by up to 62%.
- Shoes can help treat disease. At least 4 million people in 15 countries are affected by podoconiosis, a debilitating disease that causes painful swelling of the feet and legs.
- Shoes can protect feet from illness. 1.3 billion people lack regular access to health care services, leaving many children susceptible to water and soil-borne illnesses, which can be transmitted through the feet.
- Shoes can improve learning ability. Amblyopia (lazy eye) is an eye condition that if left untreated, can permanently affect a child’s learning ability.
- Shoes can provide comfort. There are over 43.7 million refugees around the world. Nearly half are children, spending their childhoods away from home without access to basic amenities, which can include warm shoes.
- Shoes can encourage healthy lifestyles. Childhood obesity has more than doubled in the past 30 years.
We are joining the #withoutshoes movement and I hope you can help achieve TOMS goal of one million pairs of shoes by May 21, 2015.
I’m joining the #withoutshoes movement by @TOMS. For every posted photo, @tomsphilippines will give a pair of shoes to a child in need. TOMS wants to give away one million pairs of shoes this month. Will you help us reach that goal? Simply join the effort by Instagramming your bare feet and tagging your friends to do the same. #tomsph To know more about One Day Without Shoes, please visit http://www.toms.com/onedaywithoutshoes.